Our Leader-In-Training program is a summer camp program for teens who have just completed grade 9. This program is an excellent opportunity to learn leadership strategies, build team skills, and develop a healthy work ethic. As an ‘LIT’, campers are expected to take on responsibilities associated with counselling and instructing while being supervised and guided. The Leader-In-Training program is a three-week commitment with a mandatory overnight session the first week to further the participant’s leadership development. For those campers who are successful, there is also an opportunity to return to the camp for a fourth as a volunteer to gain additional camp experience and add to their high school community service hours.
LIT Program Highlights
- Learn how to become an appropriate role model
- Learn how to effectively communicate with your peers, supervisors, staff members, and campers
- Develop key leadership skills, and practice them in different aspects of our summer camp setting – such as leading groups of campers throughout the day, or facilitating an activity
- Practice goal-setting and decision-making, and learn important social and interpersonal skills
- Learn about activity planning and delivery, behavioural management techniques and strategies that are important in becoming an effective camp staff member
- Develop lifelong friendships with your fellow LIT’s
- Gain the skills and experience needed to prepare you to excel as a leader in the future!
Taking Part in this Program is a 5-Step Process
- Applications will become available online in December/January for the 2019 season.
- Selected applicants will take part in an interview with our Camp Director. Interviews can be scheduled at Camp in the evening or on the weekend.
- References of selected applicants will be contacted (at least 2)
- The candidates are chosen based on their performance during the interview and on their merit. Acceptance to the program will be sent formally through email.
- Registration to the LIT program must be done by the parent, one the applicant has been accepted. This notification will be sent through email.
It should be understood that the program is designed to present each Leader-In-Training with new experiences and this begins with the application process. We are looking for individuals that are ready to take on greater responsibilities than that of a regular Camper. We strongly encourage each candidate to try and complete the application and arrange for the interview with minimal help from his or her parents. This represents the first step in taking on the additional expectations of being an ‘LIT’.