Our Leader-In-Training Program is a summer camp program for teens who have just completed grade 9. This program is an excellent opportunity to learn leadership strategies, build team skills, and develop a healthy work ethic. As an ‘LIT’, participants are expected to take on responsibilities associated with counselling and instructing while being supervised and guided. The Leader-In-Training Program is a three-week commitment with a mandatory overnight session the first week to further the participant’s leadership development. For those campers who are successful, there is also an opportunity to return to the camp for a fourth week as a volunteer to gain additional camp experience and add to their high school community service hours.
LIT Program Highlights
- Learn how to become an appropriate role model
- Learn how to effectively communicate with your peers, supervisors, staff members and campers
- Develop key leadership skills and practice them in different aspects of our summer camp setting – such as leading groups of campers throughout the day, or facilitating an activity
- Practice goal-setting and decision-making, and learn important social and interpersonal skills
- Learn about activity planning and delivery, behaviour management techniques and strategies that are important in becoming an effective camp staff member
- Develop lifelong friendships with your fellow LIT’s
- Gain the skills and experience needed to prepare you to excel as a leader in the future!
Taking Part in this Program is a 5-Step Process
- Applications are now available online for the 2019 season. Applicants must use their own email address to create their account. Accounts and applications submitted using a parent’s email address will be deleted.
- Selected applicants will take part in an interview with our Camp Director. Interviews take place at the Camp in the evening or on the weekend.
- References of selected applicants will be contacted (at least 2).
- Program participants are chosen based on their performance during the interview and on merit. Acceptance to the program will be sent formally through email.
- Registration to the LIT program must be done by the parent, once the applicant has been accepted. This notification will be sent through email.
It should be understood that the program is designed to present each Leader-In-Training participant with new experiences and this begins with the application process. We are looking for individuals who are ready to take on greater responsibilities than that of a regular Camper. We strongly encourage each candidate to try and complete the application and arrange for the interview with minimal help from their parents. This represents the first step in taking on the additional expectations of being an ‘LIT’.